School of Arts & Sciences
The School of Arts and Sciences is a community of faculty and students who engage in scholarly, creative, and professional programs and activities that challenge the mind, touch the soul, and lift the spirit. In a learning-centered environment, students will develop as active learners and leaders. Our mission is to offer discipline-specific and interdisciplinary major and minor programs and to serve the campus and community with a variety of intellectual, scientific, aesthetic, and cultural events and activities. We are committed to
- Developing programs that foster learning and motivate discovery in all areas of scholarship;
- Increasing the active involvement of women and men in areas in which they are underrepresented;
- Encouraging active commitment to issues of economic, political and social justice both locally and globally;
- Increasing interdisciplinary interaction that fosters understanding of the interrelatedness of all humankind with each other and with the environment;
- Communicating high standards of ethical behavior, scholarship, respect for others and the environment in which we live; and
- Focusing on research and action that will improve the quality of life socially, emotionally and physically for all humanity and especially for those who have been traditionally ignored.
In addition, we provide opportunities for students to enhance
- critical thinking and communication skills;
- team-building and leadership skills;
- information literacy;
- ethical and spiritual development;
- social responsibility;
- respect for diversity; and
- global citizenship.
Through small classes and direct interaction with faculty, students in the School of Arts and Sciences gain knowledge, values, and skills that encourage personal growth and prepare them for future study, careers and community service.