Independent Studies

Some departments list and describe courses that provide opportunities to earn credit for the intensive study of something not offered as a regular course. These courses are normally limited to juniors, seniors, or graduate students who have at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA.

Occasionally, students may need an independent study in order to complete a regular course required for graduation. Students should speak with the instructor who teaches that course and who can initiate the application. Completed applications must be approved by the department chair, dean, and associate provost before the end of the add period. Generally, applications will not be approved for courses that are listed on the schedule in the current academic year. A copy of the final exam or paper required for the course is retained by the department chair.

Students receiving GCU tuition remission may be required to pay the normal tuition rate for independent studies.