Early Childhood Education (P–3) & Teacher of Students with Disabilities
This program is designed for applicants who have completed a bachelor’s degree and want to qualify for their first instructional certificate. It prepares teacher candidates to work in general, inclusive, and special education settings with young children in preschool, pre-kindergarten, kindergarten, and Grades 1–3. It leads to a Master of Arts in Teaching degree and eligibility for New Jersey instructional certification in Early Childhood Education (P–3) and a Teacher of Students with Disabilities (TOSD) endorsement.
- Completion of prerequisite courses: Child and Adolescent Development (3) and Educational Psychology (3);
- Completion of the 46-credit Elementary Education component;
- Qualifying scores on a NJ Department of Education approved test of basic skills (PRAXIS CORE, ACT, SAT or GRE, or a combination of these);
- Passing score on the Praxis II exam in Elementary Education (Multiple Subjects);
- Passing scores on the three GCU exams: Physiology and Hygiene (P&H); Harassment, Intimidation, and Bullying (HIB); Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect (CARE);
- Satisfactory ratings in clinical practice, including recommendation for certification; and
- Maintenance of a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 is required to remain in the program (note: students with grade point averages between 2.75 and 2.99 may qualify to be in the Limited CEAS Pilot Program and should speak to their Advisor about this possibility).
M.A.T. in Early Childhood Education (P–3)
|EDC5110||Ethics & Foundations of Incl & SpEd||3.0|
|EDC5038||Psychology of the Exceptional Child||3.0|
|EDC5999||Field Experience in Special Education 1||1.0|
|ECE5201||Instr Des & Techn Integ in Incl ECE||3.0|
|ECE5202||Instr in ELA & Lit I in Incl ECE & SpEd||3.0|
|EDC5403||Evi-Based Prac for Inst Stdnts w/ Autism||3.0|
|ECE5203||Numeracy in Incl ECE & SpEd||3.0|
|EDC5402||Accom Mod & Asst Techn for SWD||3.0|
|ECE5204||Inst Lit II & SS Incl ECE & SpEd||3.0|
|ECE5205||Sci & Tech in Incl ECE & SpEd||3.0|
|ECE6212||Coll Plan w/ Family School & Comm ECE 2||3.0|
|ECE6302||Early Childhood Clinical Practice 3||9.0|
|ECE6303||Reflective Practice in EC & SpEd||3.0|
Requires 50 hours of clinical experience.
Requires 175 hours of clinical practice.
Requires 15 weeks of full-time clinical practice.