Early Childhood Education (P–3) & Teacher of Students with Disabilities
This program is designed for applicants who have completed a bachelor’s degree and want to qualify for their first instructional certificate. It prepares teacher candidates to work in general, inclusive, and special education settings with young children in preschool, pre-kindergarten, kindergarten, and Grades 1–3. It leads to a Master of Arts in Teaching degree and eligibility for New Jersey instructional certification in Early Childhood Education (P–3) and a Teacher of Students with Disabilities (TOSD) endorsement.
- Completion of prerequisite courses: Child and Adolescent Development (3) and Educational Psychology (3);
- Completion of the 46-credit Elementary Education component;
- Passing scores on all Praxis CORE exams (Reading, Writing, and Mathematics);
- Passing score on the Praxis II exam in Elementary Education (Multiple Subjects);
- Passing scores on the three GCU exams: Physiology and Hygiene (P&H); Harassment, Intimidation, and Bullying (HIB); Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect (CARE);
- Satisfactory ratings in clinical practice, including recommendation for certification;
- Completion of the edTPA, the New Jersey Department of Education-mandated performance assessment, is required for program completion; a passing score is required for certification; and
- Maintenance of a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 is required to remain in the program.
M.A.T. in Early Childhood Education (P–3)
|EDC5110||Ethics & Foundations of Incl & SpEd||3|
|EDC5038||Psychology of the Exceptional Child||3|
|EDC5999||Field Experience in Special Education 1||1|
|ECE5201||Instr Des & Techn Integ in Incl ECE||3|
|ECE5202||Instr in ELA & Lit I in Incl ECE & SpEd||3|
|EDC5403||Evi-Based Prac for Inst Stdnts w/ Autism||3|
|ECE5203||Numeracy in Incl ECE & SpEd||3|
|EDC5402||Accom Mod & Asst Techn for SWD||3|
|ECE5204||Inst Lit II & SS Incl ECE & SpEd||3|
|ECE5205||Sci & Tech in Incl ECE & SpEd||3|
|ECE6212||Coll Plan w/ Family School & Comm ECE 2||3|
|ECE6302||Early Childhood Clinical Practice 3||9|
|ECE6303||Reflective Practice in EC & SpEd||3|
Requires 50 hours of clinical experience.
Requires 175 hours of clinical practice.
Requires 15 weeks of full-time clinical practice.