Early Childhood Education (P–3) & Teacher of Students with Disabilities
This program is designed for applicants who have completed a bachelor’s degree and want to qualify for their first instructional certificate. It prepares teacher candidates to work in general, inclusive, and special education settings with young children in preschool, pre-kindergarten, kindergarten, and Grades 1–3. It leads to a Master of Arts in Teaching degree and eligibility for New Jersey instructional certification in Early Childhood Education (P–3) and Teacher of Students with Disabilities (TOSD) endorsement.
- Completion of prerequisite courses; Behavioral/Social Sciences: child and adolescent development (3) and educational psychology (3);
- Completion of the 46-credit Early Childhood Education component;
- Passing score on the Praxis II test in Early Childhood Content;
- Passing score on the GCU Physiology and Hygiene test;
- Evidence of satisfactory completion of a GCU-approved training program on harassment, intimidation, and bullying (HIB);
- Satisfactory ratings in clinical practice including recommendation for certification;
- Satisfactory rating on candidate’s Taskstream professional portfolio demonstrating how candidate meets New Jersey Professional Teaching Standards; and
- Passing score on edTPA, the New Jersey Department of Education-mandated performance assessment.
Maintenance of a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 and a 3.0 average in education courses is required to remain in the program.
M.A.T. in Early Childhood Education (P–3)
|EDC5038||Psychology of the Exceptional Child||3|
|EDC5110||Ethics & Foundations of Incl & SpEd||3|
|EDC5999||Field Experience in Special Education 1||1|
|ECE5201||Instr Des & Techn Integ in Incl ECE||3|
|ECE5202||Instr in ELA & Lit I in Incl ECE & SpEd||3|
|ECE5203||Numeracy in Incl ECE & SpEd||3|
|ECE5204||Inst Lit II & SS Incl ECE & SpEd||3|
|ECE5205||Sci & Tech in Incl ECE & SpEd||3|
|EDC5206||Educational Assessment 1||3|
|EDC5402||Accom Mod & Asst Techn for SWD||3|
|EDC5403||Evi-Based Prac for Inst Stdnts w/ Autism 2||3|
|ECE6212||Coll Plan w/ Family School & Comm ECE 3||3|
|ECE6302||Early Childhood Clinical Practice 4||9|
|ECE6303||Reflective Practice in EC & SpEd||3|
Requires 50 hours of clinical experience.
Requires clinical experience hours.
Requires 175 hours of clinical practice.
Requires 15 weeks of full-time clinical practice.