Elementary Education (K–6) & Teacher of Students with Disabilities
This program is designed for applicants who have completed a bachelor’s degree and want to qualify for their first instructional certificate. The program prepares candidates to provide instruction in all subjects in general, inclusive, and/or special education settings in kindergarten through Grade 6. It leads to a Master of Arts in Teaching degree and eligibility for New Jersey certification in Elementary Education (K–6) and a Teacher of Students with Disabilities (TOSD) endorsement.
- Completion of prerequisite courses: Child and Adolescent Development (3) and Educational Psychology (3);
- Completion of the 46-credit Elementary Education component;
- Qualifying scores on a NJ Department of Education approved test of basic skills (PRAXIS CORE, ACT, SAT or GRE, or a combination of these);
- Passing score on the Praxis II exam in Elementary Education (Multiple Subjects);
- Passing scores on the three GCU exams: Physiology and Hygiene (P&H); Harassment, Intimidation, and Bullying (HIB); Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect (CARE);
- Satisfactory ratings in clinical practice including recommendation for certification; and
- Maintenance of a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 is required to remain in the program (note: students with grade point averages between 2.75 and 2.99 may qualify to be in the Limited CEAS Pilot Program and should speak to their Advisor about this possibility).
M.A.T. in Elementary Education (K–6)
|EDC5110||Ethics & Foundations of Incl & SpEd||3.0|
|EDC5038||Psychology of the Exceptional Child||3.0|
|EDC5999||Field Experience in Special Education 1||1.0|
|EDC5115||Instr Dsgn & Techn Intgr Incl ElEd||3.0|
|EDC5210||Instr in ELA & Lit I in Incl & SpEd||3.0|
|EDC5403||Evi-Based Prac for Inst Stdnts w/ Autism||3.0|
|EDC5207||Numeracy in Incl El & SpEd||3.0|
|EDC5402||Accom Mod & Asst Techn for SWD||3.0|
|EDC5211||Instr Lit II & Soc St in Incl El & SpEd||3.0|
|EDC5208||Sci & Tech in Incl ElEd & SpEd||3.0|
|EDC6214||Coll Plan w/ Family School & Comm ElEd 2||3.0|
|EDC6404||Elementary Education Clinical Practice 3||9.0|
|EDC6405||Refl Prac in ElEd & SpEd||3.0|
Requires 50 hours of clinical experience.
Requires 175 hours of clinical practice.
Requires 15 weeks of full-time clinical practice.