Elementary Education (K–6) & Teacher of Students with Disabilities
This program is designed for applicants who have completed a bachelor’s degree and want to qualify for their first instructional certificate. The program prepares candidates to provide instruction in all subjects in general, inclusive, and/or special education settings in kindergarten through Grade 6. It leads to a Master of Arts in Teaching degree and eligibility for New Jersey certification in Elementary Education (K–6) and Teacher of Students with Disabilities (TOSD) endorsement.
- Completion of prerequisite courses; Behavioral/Social Sciences: child and adolescent development (3) and educational psychology (3);
- Completion of the 46-credit Elementary Education component;
- Passing score on the Praxis II test in Elementary Education (Multiple Subjects);
- Passing score on the GCU Physiology and Hygiene test;
- Evidence of satisfactory completion of a GCU-approved training program on harassment, intimidation, and bullying (HIB);
- Satisfactory ratings in clinical practice including recommendation for certification;
- Satisfactory rating on candidate’s Taskstream professional portfolio demonstrating how candidate meets New Jersey Professional Teaching Standards; and
- Passing score on edTPA, the New Jersey Department of Education-mandated performance assessment.
Maintenance of a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 and a 3.0 average in education courses is required to remain in the program.
M.A.T. in Elementary Education (K–6)
|EDC5038||Psychology of the Exceptional Child||3|
|EDC5110||Ethics & Foundations of Incl & SpEd||3|
|EDC5999||Field Experience in Special Education 1||1|
|EDC5115||Instr Dsgn & Techn Intgr Incl ElEd||3|
|EDC5206||Educational Assessment 1||3|
|EDC5207||Numeracy in Incl El & SpEd||3|
|EDC5208||Sci & Tech in Incl ElEd & SpEd||3|
|EDC5210||Instr in ELA & Lit I in Incl & SpEd||3|
|EDC5211||Instr Lit II & Soc St in Incl El & SpEd||3|
|EDC5402||Accom Mod & Asst Techn for SWD||3|
|EDC5403||Evi-Based Prac for Inst Stdnts w/ Autism 2||3|
|EDC6214||Coll Plan w/ Family School & Comm ElEd 3||3|
|EDC6404||Elementary Education Clinical Practice 4||9|
|EDC6405||Refl Prac in ElEd & SpEd||3|
Requires 50 hours of clinical experience.
Requires clinical experience hours.
Requires 175 hours of clinical practice.
Requires 15 weeks of full-time clinical practice.