English as a Second Language & Teacher of Students with Disabilities
This program is designed for applicants who have completed a bachelor’s degree and want to qualify for their first instructional certificate. This program prepares candidates to teach English as a Second Language in general, inclusive, and/or special education settings. It leads to a Master of Arts in Teaching degree and eligibility for New Jersey certification in English as a Second Language and a Teacher of Students with Disabilities endorsement.
- Completion of prerequisite courses: Child and Adolescent Development (3) and Educational Psychology (3);
- Completion of the 46-credit English as a Second Language component;
- Qualifying scores on a NJ Department of Education approved test of basic skills (PRAXIS CORE, ACT, SAT or GRE, or a combination of these);
- Praxis II testing is not required; instead, an Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) and Written Proficiency Test (WPT) must be passed;
- Passing scores on the three GCU exams: Physiology and Hygiene (P&H); Harassment, Intimidation, and Bullying (HIB); and Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect (CARE);
- Satisfactory ratings in clinical practice, including recommendation for certification; and
- Maintenance of a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 is required to remain in the program (note: students with grade point averages between 2.75 and 2.99 may qualify to be in the Limited CEAS Pilot Program and should speak to their Advisor about this possibility).
M.A.T. in English as a Second Language (ESL)
|EDC5110||Ethics & Foundations of Incl & SpEd||3.0|
|EDC5038||Psychology of the Exceptional Child||3.0|
|EDC5999||Field Experience in Special Education 1||1.0|
|EDC5113||Instr Dsgn & Techn Intgr Incl ELL||3.0|
|EDC5021||Second Language Acquisition||3.0|
|EDC5403||Evi-Based Prac for Inst Stdnts w/ Autism||3.0|
|EDC5026||Phonology & Structure of American Eng||3.0|
|EDC5402||Accom Mod & Asst Techn for SWD||3.0|
|EDC5022||Teaching ESL Through Content||3.0|
|EDC5027||Literacy for Multilingual Learners||3.0|
|EDC6210||Coll Plan w/ Family School & Comm ESL 2||3.0|
|EDC6299||ESL Clinical Practice 3||9.0|
|EDC6300||Refl Prac in ESL & SpEd||3.0|
Requires 50 hours of clinical experience.
Requires 175 hours of clinical practice.
Requires 15 weeks of full-time clinical practice.