English as a Second Language & Teacher of Students with Disabilities
This program is designed for applicants who have completed a bachelor’s degree and want to qualify for their first instructional certificate. This program prepares candidates to teach English as a Second Language in general, inclusive, and/or special education settings. It leads to a Master of Arts in Teaching degree and eligibility for New Jersey certification in English as a Second Language and a Teacher of Students with Disabilities endorsement.
- Completion of prerequisite courses: Child and Adolescent Development (3) and Educational Psychology (3);
- Completion of the 46-credit English as a Second Language component;
- Passing scores on all Praxis CORE exams (Reading, Writing, and Mathematics);
- Praxis II testing is not required; instead, an Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) and Written Proficiency Test (WPT) must be passed;
- Passing scores on the three GCU exams: Physiology and Hygiene (P&H); Harassment, Intimidation, and Bullying (HIB); and Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect (CARE);
- Satisfactory ratings in clinical practice, including recommendation for certification;
- Completion of the edTPA, the New Jersey Department of Education-mandated performance assessment, is required for program completion; a passing score is required for certification; and
- Maintenance of a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 is required to remain in the program.
M.A.T. in English as a Second Language (ESL)
|EDC5110||Ethics & Foundations of Incl & SpEd||3|
|EDC5038||Psychology of the Exceptional Child||3|
|EDC5999||Field Experience in Special Education 1||1|
|EDC5113||Instr Dsgn & Techn Intgr Incl ELL||3|
|EDC5021||Second Language Acquisition||3|
|EDC5403||Evi-Based Prac for Inst Stdnts w/ Autism||3|
|EDC5026||Phonology & Structure of American Eng||3|
|EDC5402||Accom Mod & Asst Techn for SWD||3|
|EDC5022||Theo Prac Methods Teach ESL Thr Content||3|
|EDC5027||Dev Lit Skills for Sec Lang Learners||3|
|EDC6210||Coll Plan w/ Family School & Comm ESL 2||3|
|EDC6299||ESL Clinical Practice 3||9|
|EDC6300||Refl Prac in ESL & SpEd||3|
Requires 50 hours of clinical experience.
Requires 175 hours of clinical practice.
Requires 15 weeks of full-time clinical practice.