Administration & Leadership, M.A.
The master’s program in Administration and Leadership develops leaders and administrators for New Jersey schools in the roles of school principal, school business administrator, school supervisor, and school administrator.
The 36-credit Administration and Leadership Program (ALP) develops visionary leaders who understand the factors that sustain a school culture and instructional program conducive to learning and growth. It also provides the administrative know-how, best practices, and theoretical foundation to plan strategically, respond to issues effectively, and manage complex school organizations with integrity and efficiency. The program also aids candidates’ understanding of the social, legal, economic, cultural, and political context of schools and their ability to collaborate with professional staff, families, agencies, and others to achieve common goals on behalf of students. Program emphasis is on evidence-based decision making to improve instruction and student learning outcomes. The program is aligned with the New Jersey Professional Standards for Educational Leaders.
The program leads to a Master of Arts in Administration and Leadership and eligibility for a Certificate of Eligibility as Principal. Additional courses and testing are necessary for a Certificate of Eligibility for School Administrator and for School Business Administrator.
Internship in Administration & Leadership
The internship is a two-part capstone experience in the Master of Arts in Administration and Leadership program during which candidates apply leadership and management knowledge and skills learned in the program to the practice of educational administration. Candidates prepare a reflective written, culminating report and a portfolio describing their internship experience. The report, portfolio, and preparation process are described in the program’s Guidelines for the Internship. Candidates are guided through the internship by assigned university professors and by local school district administrators and supervisors. The course is aligned with the New Jersey Professional Standards for School Leaders and the Interstate School Leaders Licensure Consortium Standards. Candidates earn 6 graduate credits over the two-semester period of the internship.
Requirements for Admission
To be admitted to the Master of Arts program in Administration and Leadership, an applicant must submit a complete, self-managed application packet including:
- Completed application for admission;
- A check or money order for $40 (nonrefundable) payable to Georgian Court University;
- Official transcript showing the award of a baccalaureate degree in education or a closely aligned field from a regionally accredited college or university. In addition, official transcripts from each undergraduate and graduate institution attended. The transcript(s) must be in sealed and signed envelopes. If the original seals have been broken, the transcripts are considered unofficial and cannot be used toward your application;
- Evidence of a cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0;
- A copy of valid New Jersey instructional certificate (P–3, K–6, or K–12); and
- Documentation of successful educational experience (teaching or educational services)—three years for supervisor or five years for principal (e.g., a letter from supervising principal or district personnel office).
|EDC5010||Curr Leadership for the Incl Sch||3.0|
|EDC6101||Organizational Leader Theo in Incl Sch||3.0|
|EDC5014||Methods of Res for Leaders in Incl Sch||3.0|
|EDC5102||Superv of Instr in the Incl School||3.0|
|EDC5013||Curr Lead & Mang for Diverse & Incl Sch||3.0|
|EDC6102||Organizational Leader Prac in Incl Sch||3.0|
|EDC6401||Superv & Leadership of Instr & Learning||3.0|
|EDC6103||Data-Based Strat for Decision-Making||3.0|
|EDC6090||Internship in Admin & Leadership I 1||3.0|
|EDC6091||Internship in Admin & Leadership II 1||3.0|
|Additional Requirement for School Administrator Certification Eligibility:|
|EDC6094||School Chief Admin Internship III 1||3.0|
Requires 150 clinical hours.
Praxis Test: Administrator candidates are required to pass the applicable Praxis II test prior to applying for certification.