Autism Spectrum Disorders
Autism Spectrum Disorders–GCU Certificate Program or Master of Education
The Autism Spectrum Disorders program offers certified teachers and non-certified individuals with a personal or professional interest in autism disorders (parents, advocates, service providers, and others) an in-depth study of the pervasive developmental disorders including teaching strategies and interventions, assessment, and social communication development for students with autism or related developmental disorders. Completers of the certificate program earn a Georgian Court University certificate indicating focused training in autism spectrum disorders; completers of the degree program earn a Master of Education.
Upon successful completion of the program of studies for Autism Spectrum Disorders, the student will receive a Master of Education (M.Ed.) degree and/or GCU certificate and will have given evidence of the following outcomes and goals.
- In-depth study of the pervasive developmental disorders of autism, evaluated through research assignments and in-class testing.
- Application of teaching strategies and interventions for students with autism and related developmental disorders, including collaborative models of teaching, as evidenced by observation reports and research studies.
- Assessment of students with autism and related developmental disorders, using case studies to apply the appropriate approaches to instruction.
- Implementation of techniques to support social communication development of students with autism and related developmental disorders, through direct observation and practicum experiences.
- (Master’s Degree) Advanced professional leadership within the area of services to support students with autism and related developmental disorders, through academic research and program evaluation.
Requirements for Admission
- An earned bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university;
- Evidence of a minimum 3.0 undergraduate GPA;
- For teachers: a copy of a valid New Jersey instructional certificate (P–3, K–6; or K–12); and
- If the applicant is an international student, a passing score on the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) is required.
|Autism GCU Certificate|
|EDC5301||Nature & Needs Indivs w/Aut&PervasDevDis||3|
|EDC5302||Strategies Teach Students w/Aut & DevDis 1||3|
|EDC5303||Soc Communic Intervent Students w/ASD||3|
|EDC5304||Assess & Curr Inter for Autism Spec Dis||3|
|EDC5305||Intervent & Supports Level 1 Char ASD||3|
Requires 10 hours of clinical experience.
Additional courses required for master’s degree:
|EDC5001||Philo & Psych Found of Incl Ed||3|
|EDC5002||Diversity in Inclusive Education||3|
|EDC5010||Curr Leadership for the Incl Sch||3|
|EDC5014||Methods of Res for Leaders in Incl Sch||3|
|EDC5158||Instr Technology for Incl Education||3|
|EDC6095||Project Applied Thesis I||3|
|EDC6099||Project Applied Thesis II||3|