Add/Drop, Withdrawal & Leave

Add/Drop Policy

Students may add or drop courses during the first two weeks of the fall or spring 15-week semesters, during the first three days of the winter session, and during the first week of all other sessions.

Course Withdrawal Policy

The course withdrawal policy that applies to undergraduates is the policy in the Undergraduate Catalog, and the course withdrawal policy that applies to graduate students is the policy in the Graduate Catalog, regardless of whether the course in question is an undergraduate course or graduate course.

A student who withdraws from a course between the end of the add/drop period and the end of the 10th week of the main session of either the fall or spring semester will receive a grade of W for that course.

For terms other than the main session of the fall and spring semester, a student will receive a W if he or she withdraws between the end of the add/drop period and the point at which the term is approximately two-thirds complete.

The Office of the Registrar will determine and post the exact dates for withdrawal deadlines for all terms. Students will not be permitted to withdraw from a course with a W after this deadline.

In rare, extraordinary circumstances, students may petition for a withdrawal with extenuating circumstances, which will be recorded as a WE. This request must be approved by the provost. A WE should be granted only in circumstances of documentable hardship, such as long-term, serious illness.

Grades of W and WE are not used to calculate a student’s grade point average, but will appear on the student’s transcript.

A student who simply stops attending a course has not officially withdrawn and will receive a grade computed on the basis of all work completed and not completed at the end of the semester, including work assigned after the student stopped attending.

How to Withdraw from a Course

A student wishing to withdraw from a course must obtain the signature of the chair of the student’s major department, or his or her assigned academic advisor, or the dean of the student’s major school. Athletes and F1-international students must also obtain the signature of the designated school official.

Limitations on Withdrawals from Courses

A student may not receive a W in more than two courses in one semester/term, or more than six courses total over the course of his or her time at Georgian Court. Grades of WE are not counted in these totals.

Withdrawing from the University/Leave of Absence/Involuntary Withdrawal

Please see other sections of the Undergraduate Catalog or Student Handbook for policies regarding withdrawing from the university, leaves of absence, and involuntary withdrawal.

Note: Students entering Georgian Court in Fall 2015 or later are subject to all provisions of the Withdrawal Policy. Students entering prior to Fall 2015 are limited to a total of six grades of W from the start of the Fall 2015 semester—grades of W received prior to Fall 2015 will not be counted in the total. These students are subject to all other provisions of the Withdrawal Policy.

Withdrawal from the University

A student who withdraws from Georgian Court in good academic standing and is not subject to any disciplinary action receives an honorable dismissal. Students wish to withdraw from the university must submit a Request for Official Withdrawal from the University form to the director of student advocacy and success (Jeffries Hall, Room 101). The student will be considered withdrawn on the date notification is received.

Students who do not enroll for consecutive main terms are considered to have voluntarily withdrawn from the institution. Students who have withdrawn from GCU must reapply through the Office of Admissions should they wish to return to the university. A student who leaves GCU and reapplies to the same academic program may choose to follow the curriculum and General Education requirements in place when she or he first enrolled at GCU provided she or he re-enrolls within five academic years after withdrawal. Under certain circumstances such as discontinuance of programs or courses or curricular changes required by a certification, licensing, or accrediting body, a student may be required to follow current curriculum and/or General Education requirements regardless of the date of first enrollment.

Nonattendance or verbal notification, in a semester for which a student has registered, does not constitute an official withdrawal.

Georgian Court reserves the right to require at any time the withdrawal of students who do not maintain the specified standards of scholarship or who are not in accord with its ideals and expected patterns of behavior. The former case is determined by action of the Academic Standards Committee; the latter by action of the provost.

Leave of Absence

Students may apply for an official leave of absence for up to two consecutive main academic terms. The Request for Leave of Absence form will need to be completed. A leave of absence permits a student to maintain her or his recorded curriculum at the university. The student will be allowed to follow degree major requirements as outlined on her or his current progress chart if she or he returns to the university within the specified time frame. Students leaving GCU to take courses at another institution are not eligible for a leave of absence. Students who fail to register for a third main academic semester must re-apply to the university through the Office of Admissions.