Transfer of Credit, Reverse Transfer, & Articulation

Transfer of Credit Policy

Credits are accepted for transfer from institutions accredited by one of the accreditors previously designated as "regional" accreditors (e.g., Middle States Commission on Higher Education). Only courses in which a grade of C or higher has been achieved are eligible for transfer. However, due to disruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, Spring 2020 courses for which credit was earned but were not graded on a letter (A–F) scale, will be eligible for transfer. These courses may not be accepted in place of courses for which an A–F letter grade is required for accreditation, certification, licensing, or related purposes. Courses listed as not being allowed to be taken pass/fail under the departmental policies of the GCU Spring 2020 Pass/Fail Option Policy will be eligible for transfer, but equivalencies and placement will be determined at the discretion of the department. Transfer credits will be counted toward the degree credit total, but will not be included in the Georgian Court grade point average. Previous credits from institutions not accredited by one of the accreditors previously designated as "regional" accreditors will be considered for acceptance on a case-by-case basis.

Students with military experience and training should have an official copy of their Joint Services (military) transcript, showing American Council on Education (ACE) credit recommendations, sent to GCU.

Courses from all sources are evaluated for transfer based on the following criteria: accreditation status of the institution, and the course description, syllabus, outline (including topics covered and time spent on each), student learning goals and objectives, assessment methods, instructional materials used (textbook, etc.), instructor credentials, level (e.g., 100-level, 200-level, etc.), mode of delivery, and credits.

Students must obtain written permission from the major advisor of their discipline and the registrar to enroll in credit courses in another institution. Credit will be given only if credit has not already been awarded or earned for the related course content. Official transcripts must be sent to the Office of the Registrar within four weeks of completion of the course(s). Transfer Credit forms are available on the Office of the Registrar’s web page at Transfer credit will only be accepted if official transcripts are received while student is enrolled at GCU.

Students may transfer a maximum of 90 credits of which no more than 75 credits may transfer from two-year institutions and no more than 48 credits may be counted as general electives based on students’ major at the time of enrollment. Credits accepted in transfer become part of students’ permanent record. As such, they cannot be replaced by new transfer courses. To fulfill General Education requirements, once students are enrolled at GCU, they are permitted to take only courses that are directly equivalent to courses in the GCU General Education curriculum. Exceptions may be made for foreign language (e.g., students may transfer credits in a language not offered by Georgian Court University).

Final determination of the acceptance or denial of transfer credit is made by the department chair or program director of the field of study for courses in the field of study, by the director of general education for General Education courses, and by the Office of the Provost for general electives.

Students are required to take a minimum of 30 credit hours at GCU. Unless specifically stated otherwise, at least half of the credits required for a major, minor, certificate or certification program must be earned at GCU. Some programs require that more than half of the credits be earned at GCU.

Reverse Transfer

In accordance with N.J. Revised Statute 18A:62-46.1, the higher education institutions of New Jersey have entered into a collective statewide reverse transfer agreement that enables students enrolled at a New Jersey four-year institution who have transferred credit  from a New Jersey community college to earn an associate degree from their former community college. Each institution is required to publish in its catalog the information below.

To participate in the reverse transfer process:

A. Students must have met the residency requirement and designated minimum grade point average at the community college prior to enrollment at the four-year institution.
B. Students must have applied and been admitted to the four-year institution.
C. Following enrollment at the four-year institution, students must have earned a cumulative total of 66 semester hours of credit between the community college and the four-year institution.
D. Students must be current with financial obligations to both the four-year institution and the community college.
E. Students must have met all of the graduation requirements of the community college.
A Georgian Court University student who has satisfied above items C and D (as D pertains to Georgian Court University) may initiate the reverse transfer process by asking Georgian Court University's Office of the Registrar to transmit their Georgian Court University transcript to the community college and to inform the community college that the student intends to seek a reverse transfer. The community college will then conduct an audit to determine if the student meets above requirements A, D, and E. If the student has met all the requirements in A, D, and E, and any other requirements for an associate degree, then the community college will grant the student an associate degree for the semester in which the student met all requirements for the degree. 

Articulation Agreements

Georgian Court University has articulation agreements with Atlantic Cape Community College, Bergen Community College, Brookdale Community College, Camden County College, County College of Morris, Essex County College, Freehold Regional Performing Arts Center of Freehold Regional High School District, Hudson County Community College, La Salle University, Mercer County Community College, Middlesex College, Monmouth University, New Seminary (Lakewood, New Jersey and Brooklyn, New York), Northeast College of Health Sciences, Ocean County College, Ocean County Vocational Technical School Performing Arts Academy, Ocean County Vocational Technical School Academy of Law and Public Safety, Passaic County Community College, Raritan Valley Community College, Rowan College at Burlington, Rowan College of South Jersey, Rutgers University, Saint George’s University, Saint Joseph's University (formerly University of the Sciences in Philadelphia), Salem Community College, Seton Hall University, Sussex County Community College, Union College of New Jersey, University of Saint Joseph in Connecticut, and Warren County Community College.

To generate a student’s progress chart, which shows the use of transferred credits, the transfer of credit policy is applied using applicable articulation agreements. NJ Transfer ( shows articulation of courses between New Jersey community colleges and Georgian Court University. Progress charts for other commonly used articulation agreements are provided at Articulation agreements are available from the Office of Admissions or the Office of the Provost.