School of Arts & Sciences
The School of Arts and Sciences is a community of faculty and students who engage in scholarly, creative, and professional programs and activities that challenge the mind, touch the soul, and lift the spirit. A liberal arts and sciences education provides experiences and learning opportunities in the humanities, visual and performing arts, natural sciences, social sciences and mathematics.
In a learning-centered environment, students will develop as active learners and leaders. Service learning is actively integrated into selected courses and students are offered the opportunity to participate in internships and research experiences. Students will become involved in their education not only in the classroom, studio, and laboratory but also by participating in cocurricular experiences such as honor societies and clubs, student government, and cultural and service-oriented activities.
Our mission is to offer discipline-specific and interdisciplinary major and minor programs and to serve the campus and community with a variety of intellectual, scientific, aesthetic, and cultural events and activities. We are committed to
- Developing programs that foster learning and motivate discovery in all areas of scholarship;
- Increasing the active involvement of women and men in areas in which they are underrepresented;
- Encouraging active commitment to issues of economic, political and social justice both locally and globally;
- Increasing interdisciplinary interaction that fosters understanding of the interrelatedness of all humankind with each other and with the environment;
- Communicating high standards of ethical behavior, scholarship, respect for others and the environment in which we live; and
- Focusing on research and action that will improve the quality of life socially, emotionally and physically for all humanity and especially for those who have been traditionally ignored.
In addition, we provide opportunities for students to enhance
- critical thinking and communication skills;
- team-building and leadership skills;
- information literacy;
- ethical and spiritual development;
- social responsibility;
- respect for diversity; and
- global citizenship.
Through small classes and direct interaction with faculty, students in the School of Arts and Sciences gain knowledge, values, and skills that encourage personal growth and prepare them for future study, careers and community service.
Departments & Areas of Study
- Department of Art & Visual Studies
- Department of Biology
- Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
- Department of Criminal Justice, Anthropology, Sociology & Human Rights
- Department of Dance
- Department of English & Interdisciplinary Programs
- Department of History & Politics
- Department of Mathematics, Computer Science & Physics
- Department of Psychology & Counseling
- Department of Religious Studies, Theology & Philosophy
- Department of World Languages & Cultures
- Career Development Courses
- Interdisciplinary Courses & Earth Sciences Courses
- Music Courses