English as a Second Language Endorsement & M.Ed. Option
ESL Program or Master of Education
The English as a Second Language (ESL) program prepares teachers to provide instruction in English to students whose native language is not English and to support these English language learners in mastering the content designated in the New Jersey Student Learning Standards (NJSLS). The ESL program reflects the national Teachers of English to Speakers of other Languages (TESOL) standards, the New Jersey Professional Standards for Teachers (NJPST) and the Interstate Teacher Assessment and Support Consortium (InTASC) standards. It leads to eligibility for endorsement to a New Jersey instructional certification as a Teacher of English as a Second Language. An additional 15 credits are needed beyond the ESL program to qualify for a Master of Education degree.
Upon successful completion of the program of studies for English as a Second Language Education, the student will have given evidence of the following outcomes and goals.
- Students will examine the current theories of second language acquisition and culture competence to evaluate different ESL and bilingual instructions.
- Students will design instruction plans and create assessment instruments to teach English language learners.
- Students will apply knowledge and theories to action research and best practices in the teaching profession.
- (Master’s Program) Students will develop advanced professional leadership within the area of services to support students who are ESL learners or who are in a bilingual education program through academic research and program evaluation.
Requirements for Admission
- An earned bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university;
- Evidence of a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0;
- A copy of a valid New Jersey instructional certificate (P–3; K–6; or K–12); and
- Passing score on oral (OPI) and written English proficiency (WPT) examinations.
|EDC5021||Second Language Acquisition||3.0|
|EDC5022||Teaching ESL Through Content||3.0|
|EDC5023||Hist & Culture of Multilingual Learners||3.0|
|EDC5026||Phonology & Structure of American Eng||3.0|
|EDC5027||Literacy for Multilingual Learners||3.0|
Additional courses required for master’s degree:
|EDC5014||Methods of Res for Leaders in Incl Sch||3.0|
|EDC5002||Diversity in Inclusive Education||3.0|
|EDC5024||Second Language Education Curriculum||3.0|
|EDC6095||Project Applied Thesis I||3.0|
|EDC6099||Project Applied Thesis II||3.0|