Teacher of Students with Disabilities Endorsement & M.Ed. Option
TOSD Program or Master of Education Degree
The Teacher of Students with Disabilities program prepares already certified general education teachers seeking to teach students with disabilities in inclusive and special education settings. The 21-credit graduate program leads to eligibility for endorsement as a Teacher of Students with Disabilities (TOSD) in the level and for the subject(s) of the instructional certificate. The program is aligned with the standards of the Council for Exceptional Children, the New Jersey Professional Standards for Teachers (NJPST), and the Interstate Teacher Assessment and Support Consortium (InTASC) standards.
An additional 15 credits are needed to qualify for a Master of Education degree. Students who want to pursue this option should see their advisor prior to finishing the program.
Upon successful completion of the program of studies for Teacher of Students with Disabilities, the student will have given evidence of the following outcomes and goals.
- Regulations for special education. Students will identify special education identification processes based on principles of the Individuals with Disabilities Act (IDEA).
- Planning appropriate instruction. Students will develop a curriculum guide for students with disabilities and complete an Individualized Education Program (IEP) for a student requiring accommodations and modifications.
- Resources and programming for students with special needs. Students will prepare and develop a resource manual for school professional use to assist students with and without disabilities.
Requirements for Admission
- An earned baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Evidence of a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0;
- A copy of a valid standard or CEAS New Jersey instructional certificate (P–3, K–6; or K–12); and
- If the applicant is an international student, a passing score on the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) is required.
|TOSD Endorsement Program|
|EDC5030||Educ Students w/Disab in LRE||3|
|EDC5031||Curr Plan Accom & Mod Students w/Disab 1||3|
|EDC5032||Comm Serv for Stdts at-Risk & w/ Except 1||3|
|EDC5034||Understanding Learning Disabilities||3|
|EDC5037||Psych & Ed Assess of Studnts w/ Disabl||3|
|EDC5302||Strategies Teach Students w/Aut & DevDis 2||3|
|EDC5303||Soc Communic Intervent Students w/ASD||3|
Requires 15 hours of clinical experience.
Requires 10 hours of clinical experience.
Additional courses required for master’s degree:
|EDC5014||Methods of Res for Leaders in Incl Sch||3|
|EDC5304||Assess & Curr Inter for Autism Spec Dis||3|
|EDC5305||Intervent & Supports Level 1 Char ASD||3|
|EDC6095||Project Applied Thesis I||3|
|EDC6099||Project Applied Thesis II||3|